Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Bethany Zombie


  How did zombies get to be such a cultural rush? It seems like everywhere you look these days there is something or some show about Zombies.  The Walking Dead is very hot on cable right now, although I have to confess that I have never seen a full episode, ( I know, I am such a loser.) It is spawning lots of other zombie and un-dead TV shows, my favorite being High School of the Un Dead. ( I may have to check that one out.)
  Zombies took over the movies years ago. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari was a silent flick that really started the genre, but Night of the Living Dead really got it going. Since that 1960's movie we have had Dawn of the Dead, Walking Dead, Shaun of the Dead (my favorite), Para Norman ( for the clanimation  fans). Both the Simpsons and South Park have had Zombie shows, what more can I say.
   Another fad that is sweeping entertainment now are the Bible movies. I understand that they have always been around, but lately it seems like we are being bombarded by them. We had Son of God, God's not Dead, Noah (I know- it is really not a God movie, but it is a God theme), Heaven is for Real- all in, or soon to come in, the theaters recently. Isn't it time to combine these two genres for a real money maker?
  This weeks lectionary reading again comes from the book of John. John 11:1-45 is the story of Jesus and Lazarus.  This is the story of Jesus raising his friend Lazarus from the Dead. The zombie possibilities are endless. I am proposing Bethany Zombie. In this story when Lazarus comes from the tomb he is a zombie. But this Zombie doesn't want your brains- he wants our hearts (aww!)
  My mind is twisted, and I know that I am supposed to be reading and preparing a sermon that will touch the congregation, but I can't get passed the obvious. Do I have the courage to do a zombie sermon?  No way! But... if I bring out.
Go-Fight-Win. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment